Maybe you’ve heard about the Green Smoothie as you’ve checked into the latest nutrition trends out there, and perhaps you are wondering what all of the fuss is over a smoothie that is green! ‘How did it get green anyway?’ you may wonder, ‘what an odd color for a smoothie…not nearly as attractive as pink or purple!’
While it may sound a bit odd, many people are drinking green smoothies every morning as a way to get a highly concentrated dose of vitamins and minerals in what is, surprisingly, a very delicious drink! In fact, of all of the things that I would recommend to start you out on the path to better nutrition, it would be to add a green smoothie into your diet every day. Here is some basic information about the green smoothie to get you going in the right direction.
WHAT is a Green Smoothie?
A simple drink that you make in the blender with fruit and greens to power start your day with vitamins, minerals, and enzymes!
HOW do I make a Green Smoothie?
There are lots of ways to make one, but I prefer to pattern mine after Victoria Boutenko’s original Green Smoothie philosophy of 60% ripe fruit and 40% green leaves. You may want to start out with 80% fruit and 20% greens until you get used to the flavor of green
Here’s a list of fruits that combine well for smoothies, but you can use whichever ones you like:
- berries of any kind
Experiment with different green leaves such as:
- dandylions (yes, the weed…just make sure they haven’t been sprayed or peed on by your dog)
- beet greens
WHY drink Green Smoothies?
- The nutrients in blended fruits and greens are quickly and easily absorbed into your body…much faster than food that still needs to be chewed.
- They are an easy way to get your greens. You can get 50% or more of your daily recommended amounts of fruits and veggies in one smoothie! What a way to get you
- started on your day! Most people experience more energy and a clearer mind when they drink them as well.
- Smoothies are easy to make and easy to clean up. Just use a blender. You don’t even need an expensive, fancy one. It takes literally less than 5 minutes from start to finish.
- They are delicious! Even kids enjoy them. Start them out with mostly fruit, and sneak a few greens in there, building up until your kids are even getting 40% greens. The more you drink Green Smoothies, the more your palate will enjoy the green flavor and you’ll even start to crave it!
Need some recipe ideas to get you started? Here are a few of my favorite combinations:
- 2 bananas, 1 pear, 2 large handfuls of spinach, 6 cubes of ice, 1 cup water and 2 drops of Stevia
- 4 bananas, 2 large kale leaves, ice cubes, 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen grapes, 1 cup cantaloupe, 2 large handfuls of Romaine lettuce, 1 cup water, 1 tsp vanilla, ice.
- 1 mango, 2 peaches, 2 handfuls of spinach, 2 cups fresh apple juice.
- 1/4 of a pineapple, 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 small handful parsley, 1 head of butter lettuce, 2 cups water, ice
It’s good to follow recipes to get you started, but don’t limit yourself! There are dozens of combinations for a delicious, nutritious smoothie. Experiment with your favorite fruits and greens to find the flavors that are the best for you. You’ll be so surprised at how delicious this drink is that you may even forget how good it is for you, too!