The smoothie drinks of today have gone from the traditional to the bizarre. That’s because smoothies are very versatile – you can mix almost anything, and yet, it will still usually taste good. But the one recipe that kids and adults alike go gaga over – chocolate.
A bit of a backgrounder: chocolate was discovered around 2,000 years ago in the tropical rainforests of the Americas. The tree has pods; the pods have seeds. Those seeds can be processed into the chocolate first used by the people of the ancient cultures of Mexico and Central America (Maya and Aztec civilization included), evolved now into the chocolate we all know and love.
Fast forward to today: Chocolate is now used in a lot of desserts and snacks, smoothies definitely included. Here are some classic chocolate smoothie recipes to satisfy your cocoa cravings:
– Blend 6 oz. of chocolate yoghurt, one-fourth cup of skimmed milk, 1 chopped banana, and 3 large ice cubes. Add more ice or milk, depending on your desired consistency. Serve immediately.
– Chocolate mocha goes well for people who want to have a little coffee in their drink. Combine three-fourth cup of chocolate ice cream, one-fourth cup of chilled strong coffee, and 2 tablespoons of chocolate ice cream topping and blend until smooth. Add one-fourth cup of club soda and pulse to blend well.
– Choco-mint is perfect, especially for a Christmassy feel. Combine 4 scoops of peppermint ice cream (or if you can’t buy one, make some by adding 4 drops of peppermint extract to the ice cream), 1 and a half cups of milk (no low-fat milk here; indulge every once in a while), a drop of peppermint extract, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 tablespoons of bittersweet chocolate syrup or ice cream topping. Blend until smooth, or until you don’t see the whites anymore.
– Put in a cup of milk, a cup of crushed ice, a banana (chopped), and 1 to 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into glasses and top with some whipped cream and sprinkle with some chocolate shavings for some presentation. Serve immediately so it doesn’t get hot.
– A healthy chocolate smoothie? Try this one for size: Blend 1 frozen banana (frozen fruits let out more of their sweetness compared to freshly-picked ones), 1 cup of soy milk, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a drop or two of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon hemp protein powder or flax oil, and a pinch of cinnamon. Process until smooth, pour and enjoy.
No matter how old or young you are, keep in mind that you cannot avoid a smoothie forever, most especially one that’s chocolaty. So free your senses and give in to the temptation that only chocolate can offer.